Friday, July 3, 2009

I'm back. Again. Maybe.

A couple of thoughts as I try to return to this format:

1. I’m doing this to get myself writing again, in any format, in any way. Most of the past year was completely swamped by teaching, and I simply need to write more: professionally, and for my own satisfaction.

2. I need to be more concise. My favorite blogs, I’ve noticed, keep it relatively short. My favorite blog right now, the 19th floor, usually comes in around two or three paragraphs.

3. I also need to write more often. I check blogs more often that I know are going to be updated more often.

4. Perhaps I need to not limit myself to my workouts or my current reading. Most running blogs I breeze through get pretty boring if they focus on running alone. This probably should have been obvious to me much sooner, but I can be dense.

That being said, I will mention that I’m reading Evelyn Waugh’s Brideshead Revisited. I’m trying to make up my mind if I like it. I saw the mini-series that Jeremy Irons starred in a couple of decades ago. Waugh’s prose is—well any adjective I use is going to sound trite—but it’s sort of delicious in an overly rich pastry sort of way; it’s heavy on the nostalgia to an almost cloying degree. On the professional side I’m reading Darwin’s Sacred Cause, which is a history of Darwin’s relationship to the abolitionist cause. I’d say it was interesting, and it is, to me, but this up my particular professional alley, and I can have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to that sort of thing.

Since I last wrote, I also bought a Trek 1.5 road bike. There’s little ambivalence there. Despite being occasionally left in the dust by the local cycling club, I have to say that I love cycling. I’d be doing a lot more of it right now if I weren’t trying to focus on training for another marathon in Grand Rapids. Despite these humid South Georgia summers, rides in the morning take on this wonderful meditative quality.

Enough for now. More soon, hopefully.

No comments: